The Real Story vs. The Real Story

ttnaomi

> Quicktime H.264
(60mb)
> iPod Compatible
(41.1mb)
> RealPlayer Media
(18.6mb)

acanaomi

> Quicktime H.264
(47.1mb)
> iPod Compatible
(32.5mb)
> RealPlayer Media
(14.6mb)

The Chaser may do a good job putting A Current Affair and Today Tonight in its place, but nothing is quite as fun as the crap these two shows come out with themselves.

So with Naomi Robson being deported from Indonesia while trying to save Wa Wa from cannibals, lets have a look at how the two rival networks covered the event.

And be sure to see the story following the Wa Wa report, its good to see so much diversity.

35 Responses to “The Real Story vs. The Real Story”


  • It’s quite sad when two rival networks use news programmes to broadcast hatred for each other in front of a nation. If what Seven is saying is true (though it does seem like a far-fetched story), it’s worrying to think that they would put a child’s life in danger for the sake of ratings.

    They both seem to be using political techniques to actually have their say about each other. This reminds me of the ‘arguing’ the US and USSR did in front of the UN during the Cold War.

    Embarassing stuff.

    Also, shouldn’t these programmes broadcast international news stories? Things of national interest rather than “I’m too patriotic for my own good”.

  • And now… THE REAL REAL STORY!!!

    Naomi et al went to Indonesia carrying cameras. What did they do wrong? They entered as tourists! Which obviously means they’re lying because they’re “conducting business” by recording their crap features.

    It’s such a simple story… when did this little blip require so much “REAL” stuff when they neglected to say one thing: they were WRONG by getting the wrong visa, and they suffered the consequences.

    Simple enough. No special treatment because you’re from the Seven Network 🙂

  • Could exlain why Austrlians\Australian TV is so obsessed with the overly dramatic, sensational documentary?

    It just seems the shows themselves create more controversy and “hoo-haa” than the stories themselves.

  • I’m so, SO glad you’ve decided to post this. I even searched on YouTube trying to find this, because I was at work when it was originally broadcast. This has to be the most bizare TV catfight in history, and the fact that it involves Naomi in the firing line just makes it more hilarious.

  • Well, neither network will come out of this looking good. Both shows are without any alue whatsoever, and it makes em sick to think not only that they are on the air, but that they get huge ratings. People really need to wake up to themselves, and stop being so ignorant.

    Only a truly ignorant person would ever watch a programme like this.

  • I think from watchin both it is SO CLEAR that 7 was obviously dobbed in by 9. Doesnt matter if you love or hate naomi or tt or aca, 9 has absolutely no facts to back themselves up with! 7 has emails and phone logs! And its all well and good to say have the right visa but often countres won’t give journalist visas becasue they are trying to cover up injustices, does that mean we just don’t go?????!!!!!! NO!!!! Do you think any of the reporters during the Indonesian invasion of East Timor in 1999 had the correct indonesian visa? And 60minutes also enteres on tourist visas. Its very nice to say they should get the correct ones but the WORLD DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

  • AND I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE SLAGGING OFF NAOMI! SURE SHE MAY NOT HAVE A JOURNALISM DEGREE, BUT SHE HAS AN EXTENSIVE JOURNALISTIC BACKGROUND. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER BRIAN HENDERSON? HE WAS THE 9 SYDNEY NEWSREADER FOR ABOUT A MILLION YEARS AND WAS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED NEWS MEN IN THE COUNTRY. WELL HE HAD NO JOURNALISM DEGREE EITHER. AND TALK ABOUT DIVAS! HE INSISTED 9 CHOPPER HIM IN FROM HIS MANOR ESTATE EVERY NIGHT TO DO THE NEWS THEN HOME AGAIN! NAOMI DID NOT HAVE A MAKEUP TRUCK AT BEACONSFIELD, EVERY MEDIA OUTLET HAS ACKNOWLEDGED IT WAS A RUMOUR SPREAD BY ACA! AND OF COARSE SHE FLEW TO MELB FOR THE LOGIES, SHE HAD TO REPRESENT THE NEWS & CURRENT AFFAIRS DEPT, SOME SAY YOU WOULDN’T CATCH MEL DOYLE OR JESSICA ROWE LEAVING SUCH A SCENE, WELL NAOMI DOESN’T GO LIVE AT 6AM! SHE IS ON AT 6.30PM AND OBVIOUSLY COULD SPARE A FEW HOURS SINCE SHE IS REALLY JUST A NEWSREADER AND WHILE SHE HAS INPUT ON STORY IDEAS SHE DOESN’T OFTEN COMPILE THEM! I AM SO SICK OF THE BLIND HATRED THIS COUNTRY HAS FOR HER LEAD BY THE MEDIA. WHY NO SUCH HATRED FOR TRACY GRIMSHAW, SHE DOES THE SAME JOB, AND BY THE MELBOURNE AGE’S GREEN GUIDE’S OWN ADMISSION, TT IS A SLIGHTLY MORE SERIOUS PRODUCT! EVERY SO CALLED “CONTROVERSAY” AGAINST NAOMI HAS THE STINK OF 9 ALL OVER IT!! MY INTEREST IN THIS DOES NOT MAKE ME IGNORANT! NOW DOES THE FACT I ENJOY WATCHING TT, I PRIDE MYSELF ON MY EXTENSIVE CURRENT EVENTS KNOWLEDGE, TT IS PART OF THAT. SOME PEOPLE DO ONLY WATCH TT OR ACA, BUT THAT HAS TO BE BETTER THAN WATCHING NOTHING, AND BOTH DO COVER MAJOR WORLD, SOCIAL AND POLITICAL STORIES, JUST NOT TO THE SAME EXTENT OR COMPLEXITIES OF BROADSHEET PAPERS OR THE ABC. SO ALL OF YOU GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND OPEN YOUR EYES, BY ATTACKING NAOMI FOR NO REASON AND ACCEPTING 9’S WORD AS GOSPEL YOU ARE BEING AS IGNORANT AS YOU CLAIM ME TO BE!

  • And there are derogatory reports saying she has expensive tastes etc, drives a BMW etc, well I can’t say for sure but Melissa Doyle doesn’t drive a 15year old Commodore and Tracy Grimshaw doesn’t rock up in a Barina! They all earn a fair bit and will obviously have more expensive tastes than middle Australia. I am sure Karl Stefanovic doens’t buy his outfits at KMart!

  • They will be showing the story again on 60 minutes tomorrow night, be interesting what else nine will add to this ‘saga’, or will it just be a re-run of the same story…

  • wow Nick Renwick what a little TT/7 suck up. seven only putes her there for the “male” market like naomi’s replacement in the summer Anna Coren although she is a realy jurno shes only doing TT for the “male” market. im not a tt or ACA fan but if i had the choice i would watch because they use PROFFESIONALS (who spent a lot of years studing) to present. and Nick Renwick DON’T EVER THINK BRIAN HENDERSON AND NAOMI ROBSON ARE THE SAME. HE IS A HUMAN!

  • EDIT i would watch ACA if i had the choice*******

  • Well yes even the chaser’s agree ACA did win the award for being slightly better than Today Tonight…

  • Oh Nick, TYPING IN ALL CAPS equates to shouting. And shouting won’t make your argument anymore compelling.

    On the other hand, Frontline has it pretty much spot on.

  • Nick, why do you have this inexplicable love for a woman who, if she saw you, would sneer at you, simply because of who she perceives she is?

    You ARE ignorant for watching TT, just as people are who watch ACA.

    Oh, and Naomi is not a journalist. She is an autocue reader, nothing more.

  • Probably no need to get personal here. Some people watch ACA, some watch TT, while others get sick of the weekly diet story, dodgy businessman, network cross-promotion routine.

    Probably a bit of a stretch to suggest that “BOTH DO COVER MAJOR WORLD, SOCIAL AND POLITICAL STORIES, JUST NOT TO THE SAME EXTENT OR COMPLEXITIES OF BROADSHEET PAPERS OR THE ABC.”

    The tussle over Wawa looks bad on the part of both networks.

  • AND COMMENTING IN CAPTIALS IS GOING TO ADD TO THE INTEGRITY OF BOTH 9 AND 7’S CURRENT AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT!!! HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!

    The nature of the story doesn’t make sense from either side anyways. They’re both sensationalist and forget the fact that there are laws around here.

    Sure, journalists didn’t worry about correct procedure and visas during the East Timor crisis, but the conditions are different now. You can blame almost anything for not carrying the right visa, but think about this; what if someone entered AUSTRALIA with the wrong visa? Let’s say… a journalist crew from INDONESIA? Obivously, you’ll have different thoughts that way.

    All I know is, regardless of the circumstances, it’s better to follow a foriegn country’s laws and customs. Otherwise, you’ll wind up like Naomi and the “TT” gang.

  • “think from watchin both it is SO CLEAR that 7 was obviously dobbed in by 9. Doesnt matter if you love or hate naomi or tt or aca, 9 has absolutely no facts to back themselves up with! 7 has emails and phone logs!”

    Nick yes 7 has said they have the emails and they have the phone logs but when it comes down to it have they actually shown them physical to anyone?? The answer is NO so until 7 get around to showing us these pieces of evidence you should not say that the case is closed yet.
    Anyone who watches these shows must know that there is always another part of the story they never show, so don’t believe everything you hear/ see?

  • Just watched 6o min replay of their story, seems like a few people have changed their story’s since it was filmed!!!

  • It sounds like TT team were in too much of a hurry to get it on ACA exclusive- each of the two respective production teams must literally hate each other

  • Clearly 60 Minutes were in the wrong, the whole way. They are Inhumane Liars, and clearly evil. TT did nothing wrong, except their visas, WHICH THEY DISCLOSED, which is all 60 mins had in the end.

  • thank you!

  • How was 60 Min wrong exactly, maybe in your opinion they were morally wrong but were they ethically wrong? If all of a sudden Australians decided that were imposing our values on others then then they would be, but Australia does not impose it values on others so 60 min was in the right? They were not evil as they expressed there sympathy for the boy but even the pommy guy said “it’s best to leave them as we have no right to come in and impose our way of life and it will of all stopped in 20 years or so.”
    (He seems to have changes his mind since then though, but come on, a big fat check from the 7 network would change anybody’s mind, wouldn’t it.)
    the other key fact is that if u watched 60 min and listened (mind u I don’t think u wanted to hear what they had to say) the man that is looking after the boy said that nothing will happen to him till he is 15 or 16 and the boys only 8 or something. So why is it all of a sudden a life or death situation (probably because yet again a big fat check can change your mind about anything)
    last of all why is it TT crew think they have the right to go and a snatch this kid and not go about getting proper VISAS and then come back here and in a few months they will probably preach to us about how there are all these refuges cue jumping and entering our country illegally (time to have a look at yourself TT)
    (Note: I do not know if either of the men were offered money from the 7 network but I can imagine that they were not doing it for nothing)

  • “EVERY MEDIA OUTLET HAS ACKNOWLEDGED IT WAS A RUMOUR SPREAD BY ACA!”

    sorry but I seem to think that it would be the last thing Nine or ACA would own up to doing and they are a media outlet, I don’t think you can say that every media outlet has said it was Nine or ACA
    I also remember the media saying that it was spread by a rival media outlet but none of them named Nine or ACA as the perpetrators so I think you’re jumping to conclusions.

  • HOW WAS 60 MINS @ FAULT THEY LEFT THE KID THERE LIKE THEY SHOULD DO! HES NOT GOING TO GET EATEN UNTILL HES 15 AND BY THEN THEY MIGHT OF BEEN…… i dnt know what to say, civilized maybe, THINK IF TT TOOK THE KID OUT OF PUPWA WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO HIS MENTAL STATE ANS WHAT WOULD THEY DO WITH HIM STICK HIM IN A CLOSET IN MARTIN PLACE UNTILL HE STOPPED SCREAMING!!!! 9 is in the right and 7 is in the wrong.

  • Exactly Cookie, Nick and Brad (and otheres i guess) stop being so biased agens nine and look at the facts, what TT did was not though out and the only thing they were thinking about was the ratings.

  • “HES NOT GOING TO GET EATEN UNTILL HES 15” It will be sometime within the next 10 years… It could be tomorrow, it could be in 5 days, it could be in 5 years. 60 mins ignored anything but of course, the ratings – they ignored the actual story – wawa! They dumped him, after being BEGGED by his uncle, to save him.

  • The actual story 60 min was covering was not actually anything to do with WA-WA but it was about going out and meeting a tribe that had never been exposed to the modern world, WA -WA was simply something they stumbled on. Brad as far as i know they said he would not be eaten till he is 15 or 16 and not before then so what you are saying is irelivent, and dont u think it slightly strange that all these people have changed there opinions ever since they filmed the 60 min show.

    One last thing if it is such a life and death situation then why doesnt that pommy guy go and get the kid, why is it only posable to save him if there is a TV crew and Naomi there????

    Brad look at the facts from both sides, and to be fair at this stage dont come out saying that 9 are Inhumane Liars, and clearly evil when they even said they had sympathy for the boy when there story was shot.

  • By the way Nick and Brad (sorry for singiling u out) did u watch the 60 min story or are u just belive everything 7 feeds you at 6:30

  • It’s really hard for me to understand all this drudgery going on. But the “spin doctors” at Media Watch have certainly put another point of view on things. Poor saviour 7, bad bad evil 9. Or poor saviour 9 and irresponsible 7. Regardless of your view, it’s a story in murky water.

    And, irregardless of any one view on the situation, I can see that both 9 and 7 will suffer somehow, whether on moral circumstance or viewer ratings. You can glorify either network all you like, but by centering their battle on a young boy up in Indonesia just does not convince me to believe either case.

    It’s funny though. Australians are so lucky that they even have home-produced programming, whatever the quality is whilst the Americans take over all Canadian commercial networks somehow. Just call yourselves lucky to see this battle brewing in the first place.

  • There aren’t any spin doctors at Media Watch, Phil. They are only interested in the truth.

  • i know this sounds bad but WA-WA isnt a Aust Citizen so it isnt our problem. nine didnt touch him GOOD ON THEM think what would happen to wawa when he ended up in sydney or melbourne whereever TT was going to do with him did TT even think of what they were goin to do with him when naomi came in picked him up and wisked him away so safey, they do a TT spcieal doco and what every 5 years do a check up on him.
    ok lets say there was a comdemment kid in Iraq (with suddam still in power and no us involvement) ok so this kid had the same story as WA WA do you think that TT would go there?, no cos naomi might mess her hair up. LEVE WA WA Where he belongs the INON govt can do somthing if they feel that they hav to do and i hope our fed govt dosent got involved !

  • “There aren’t any spin doctors at Media Watch, Phil. They are only interested in the truth.”

    Well, Andy, why did I put quotes around the word spin doctors? Obviously I was sarcastic on that one.

    This whole ruckus does make good entertainment. When you compare it to the Canadian ripoff of “Entertainment Tonight”, egotistical hosts and all.

  • It’s soo sad sad sad how two rival networks hate each other and use their current affairs programmes to get back at each other, shameful journalism.

  • yeh very shows the state in sustralian TV

Leave a Reply